Friday, December 5, 2008

I'd Bump That

I love music. Any kind of music. Well, almost any kind of music. Now, being an avid music lover, I am always looking for the newest music. I consider myself one of those Indie kids who always knows the bands before they get big. And then I hate them afterward for selling out. I rely on the web to keep me updated.

One of the best websites to discover new music is thesixtyone. I stumbled upon this site around January of last year and I have signed on every day since then. Yes, it is that addictive.




Their mission statement:
"thesixtyone makes music culture more democratic: artists upload their work for review, but, rather than allow a stuffy suit in a boardroom to decide what's good, thousands of listeners do. The best music automagically bubbles up on our homepage where you can listen to the most popular songs for any genre. It's a quick way to find new music for your iPod powered by pure excitement as opposed to some contrived marketing budget.

Think you've got a good ear? Aside from customizing your experience, creating an account allows you to earn points, level up your influence, and collect badges for discovering and recommending good music that others may enjoy. On thesixtyone, tastemaking becomes fun, competitive, and trackable."


I have discovered some really great bands on there. Paula Fuga, Horse Feathers, Meiko, Yael Naim, Chris Merritt, Stars, Band of Horses, the list could go on forever (seriously, I literally mean forever). There are a lot of really talented musicians there. The web site is run by two guys (crazy, right?), James and Sam, who came up with the idea themselves. The site is free, but they do accept donations if you are feeling generous :)

So, go check it out and let me know what you think. Oh, and pass any good music recommendations my way!


My page at the sixtyone

No comments: