Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas is in how many days?!?

I cannot believe how fast this year went by. I swear it was just yesterday I was making another New Year's resolution that I knew I wasn't going to keep... It is now that time again. But before I make a list of unrealistic goals, I need to figure out what I am going to get for everyone on my list (and what I want them to get for me). I hate getting the typical gifts for people. I am always looking for something new and unique (and maybe even a little weird) to get for my beloved friends and family. I have been stockpiling and bookmarking products and their sites all year long and I have compiled quite an interesting list full of goodies.

Would you like me to google that for you?

These are for the iphone addict. Everyone knows one (or maybe you are it) and what happens when it starts snowing and you have to put your gloves on? Going to be a little difficult to check your email every five seconds or google where that restaurant your trying to find is at, on your iphone with those bulky mittens on. DOTS has you covered. They have little metal dots on the fingers to let you use touch screens without scratching the surface. They are completetly safe and they come in a knit and wool style.



Hold my heart in your hand (but don't let it melt)

Who doesn't love chocolate? Better question. Who doesn't love chocolate shaped like a hearts and brains? I know I do. G&C Chocolates offer an alternative to the regular chocolate bar or boxed candies. They even have mini chocolate brains w/ cherry! I don't think this would be the best gift for a first date situation. Just saying.


He never borrowed my pen again....

Stuck in the office over the holidays? Frankly, just pissed off that everyone else is out at Holiday parties while you are stuck doing the year's inventory reports? Or maybe that guy who whistles two cubicles down is about to make you snap.

Take your frustration out on the Dead Fred pen holder. I guess it is a bit of a morbid way to organize, but hey, it is worth always knowing where your pen is. Dead Fred has some brothers that help out with other household and organizational problems. You can find all of them at Suck UK (and a bunch of other really cool stuff). Not for the easily offended or the queasy.




Everything tastes better with bacon on it...except maybe sushi.


The day I realized how great bacon tasted was the day I was doomed to forever be on a diet just so I could savor that greasy goodness. I have recently discovered turkey bacon and, although the crunchiness isn't there, it is a pretty acceptable substitute for the real thing.

Now, I don't know about you, but I have often found myself wishing for a bacon snack during the day when I don't have the time to cook any. Well, look no further Archie Mcphee has solved that problem for you. Not only do they have bacon gumballs, they also have bacon floss and bacon jelly beans. If you would like to share your love of bacon with the world, they have bacon wallet. Let your bacon colors fly!



Ok, ok, I am not just some unrefined nutjob who sits around eating bacon all day (just on Sundays). I redeem myself as a self-proclaimed foodie by telling you about my other obsession: Sushi.
As a kid, I had no idea why someone would want to shove a bunch of raw fish covered in blah rice in their mouth. Three years ago I tasted my first roll and my life has not been the same since then. And, thank god, Archi Mcphee is there for me when it comes to sushi as well as bacon.

Doing a little redecorating? How about a sushi shower curtain? Or maybe a sushi rug? Maybe use a little of their sushi tape for wrapping presents this year.




And if bacon and sushi aren't your thing (blasphemy), Archi Mcphee has a bunch of other equally, ummm, unique (like an inflatable fruitcake) products.



Ok, some less bizarre ideas


I am starting to think that maybe I should have started the list with these instead of the other way around...Oh well. If you are still with me, here are some ideas for the loved ones in your life that might not have the same twisted sense of humor as me.

A personal gift for your loved one:
I have seen these mentioned all over the place lately and they look great. Between Me and You Books are a gift that is definitely meaningful. Each book is full of personal questions that the recipient writes down the answers to and then gives the book back to you. It is a gift that will allow your loved one to write down memories that you both will cherish forever. They have a lot of different books for each specific person in your life. Mom, Dad, Grandma, Honey, Brother, Sister, and more. These would also make a great birthday or anniversary gift. I was also thinking it would be cool to buy one and fill it out and then give it to someone like that.

For the Chef:
The blog Better Living Through Design mentioned these awesome fingertongs "the silicone cooking tongs you wear", that are available from Fusion. They allow you to literally stick your hand into the pan and flip things (like bacon, of course) over. This is perfect for the chef in your family. And, at $16, they won't break your bank. Fusionbrands has a lot of other useful kitchen products available.

For the Reader:
As much as I love bacon (I swear, that is the last reference), I love reading even more. The only New Year's resolution that I have ever kept was to read 5o books in a year. Last year I read 52 books and it was one of the most fulfilling things I have ever done. I am always asking for suggestions for books, but a lot of the time, I forget what the suggestion was. A Life Well Read is the solution for that. According to the product description,
"This truly unique product helps readers capture, organize and share their ideas about books, create their own book wish list, remember books they want to give others, and track books on loan to friends". I think I need to get one of these myself.



Handmade Goods lover:

If you have not discovered Etsy yet, then click on that link and be ready for a handmade ephiphany of goods. Seriously, you can basically find anything you want on there and all of the goods are handmade and amazing quality. They have plenty of organic products on there, too. One of my favorite Etsy shops is the fakerbakery. She has jewelry shaped like donuts, coffee, and poptarts. It is a carefree shop that allows jewelry to be fun. You should definitely check her shop out and other Etsy shops. There are many shops that are very affordable (I don't want to say cheap because the quality is way too good for that word) and many are having specials for the Christmas season.

Ok, I have a lot more ideas floating around in my head for my ever-changing gift list. Hopefully, at the very least, you caught the spirit of giving unique gifts instead of heading out and buying a cookie-cutter, unpersonal gift. If you have any questions, let me know!

No comments: